This Crockpot Cheesy Taco Hash Brown Casserole recipe is a hearty and flavorful meat and potatoes dish that is full of delicious taco seasonings. An easy go-to meal for any night of the week.
Easy Taco Hash Brown Casserole
Easy one-step meals are my absolute favorite dishes to make on busy weeknights. Lately, my family has been enjoying savory dinners like Chicken Pot Pie Soup with a side of biscuits, Mississippi Chicken with some veggies on the side, and Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken over rice or beans. Anything that is easy to throw together without much hassle.
That’s why this Crockpot Cheesy Taco Hash Brown Casserole recipe has become one of our family favorites. It’s absolutely one of the easiest meals to throw together. The only work needed is to brown the meat, then add it into the Crock Pot along with the potatoes, cheese, and seasonings, and let the slow cooker do the rest. Just a few hours later, this hearty and cheesy meal is ready to eat. Add a few toppings like sour cream, diced tomatoes, or cilantro and this delicious dish is something the whole family will love.
- Ground Meat– This dish is so versatile that any ground meat like beef, sausage, turkey, or chicken would taste great.
- Frozen Shredded Potatoes– No need to thaw the potatoes. Just throw them right in the Crock Pot frozen. You could swap out shredded for diced potatoes for a different texture.
- Taco Seasoning– Any brand will work or even homemade.
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles– Rotel is a popular brand but any brand will taste good. You can also substitute a jar of salsa for a little different flavor. I used mild but try medium if you want a little spice.
- Cheese Soup– The soup gives it some creaminess to bring it all together.
- Shredded Cheese– I like adding Mexican or Taco Shredded Cheese for the flavor. Cheddar Cheese would be a good substitute.
*See the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions and a list of ingredients.
How To Make Taco Potato Casserole
- Brown the meat: In a medium saute pan, brown the meat. Add any seasonings like garlic, onion, or salt if you want a little extra flavor.
- Add ingredients to the Crock Pot: Add the meat, potatoes, tomatoes, taco seasoning, cheese soup, and half of the shredded cheese to the Crock Pot and stir it all together. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Cook: Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours on High or 4-5 hours on Low. Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store any leftovers in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
To freeze: Allow to fully cool and place in an air-tight container and freeze for up to 2 months. Microwave for 45-60 seconds to serve.
Frequently Asked Questions
No need to thaw the hash browns. Just add them into the Crock Pot frozen and stir them together with the other ingredients.
This recipe is a hearty meal that can be served as a stand-alone dish or pairs well with a side salad, corn, or beans.
More Dinner Recipes
Crockpot Cheesy Taco Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 pound ground meat such as beef, pork, turkey, or chicken
- 30 ounces frozen shredded hash browns
- 10.5 ounces Rotel or tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 10.5 ounces cheese soup
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese divided
- Brown and drain the meat. Add a little extra seasonings like garlic, onion, or salt if you prefer.
- In the bottom of a large Crock Pot, add browned meat, hash browns, tomatoes with green chiles, cheese soup, taco seasoning, and half the shredded cheese. Stir it all together well until everything is incorporated. Top with the remaining half of the cheese.
- Cover with a lid. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Serve and enjoy!
- Add any toppings you prefer like sour cream, diced tomatoes, or cilantro.
- Do not thaw the hash browns. They cook best from frozen.