This Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese is deliciously creamy with savory chicken, beans, and a hint of spicy chiles all together in a cream cheese broth. Enjoy it topped with tortilla chips, cilantro, or avocado for a filling weeknight meal.
The Creamiest White Chicken Chili
One of my family’s favorite go-to soups is this White Chicken Chili recipe. It is so flavorful with savory chicken, white beans, a just a little bit of spice from the green chiles marinating in the slow cooker. Once we add the cream cheese it becomes incredibly smooth and creamy. I always add avocado, cilantro, and tortilla strips to top it off for the best comfort food on cool winter nights or as a main meal all year round.
- Chicken– Boneless skinless chicken breasts are my personal favorite for this recipe. Chicken thighs could also be used for a richer, savory flavor.
- White Beans– Cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy beans would all taste good in this soup.
- Green Chiles– These add a little kick of spicy flavor. Use mild or hot depending on your preference of spiciness.
- Corn– This adds a hint of sweetness and texture. Canned or frozen would work well.
- Chicken Broth– Regular or low-sodium chicken broth is the base for the chili. You can substitute with 4 cups of water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes.
- Onion– Diced yellow, white, or red onion can be used.
- Cilantro– While this is completely optional, I think it adds a robust flavor that is so delicious in this chili.
- Garlic Powder– Substitute with 2 cloves of fresh garlic if you prefer.
- Cumin, Chili Powder, Oregano, Salt, and Pepper– These bring together all. the savory flavors.
- Cream Cheese– Room temperature cream cheese or Neufchâtel blends so much easier than when it is cold. You can soften cream cheese by leaving it out on the counter wrapped for about an hour or microwave unwrapped for a minute.
How to Make White Chicken Chili
This soup is easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Add ingredients to the crockpot: Add the chicken, chiles, corn, onion, beans, cilantro, chicken broth, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker and stir together.
- Cook: Turn the slow cooker on high and cook for around 3-4 hours or 6-8 hours on low until the chicken is tender.
- Shred the chicken: Remove the chicken using tongs and shred it using two forks. Add it back to the chili and stir.
- Add cream cheese: Slowly stir in the room-temperature cream cheese until it is nice and creamy. Serve and enjoy!
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions and a list of ingredients.
To refrigerate: Store any leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
To freeze: This chili can be frozen before adding the cream cheese in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. I do not recommend freezing after the cream cheese has been added since it tends to separate and change the texture.
Variation Ideas and Toppings
- Make it cheesy with a variety of cheeses like Cheddar, Colby Jack, or Pepper Jack.
- Switch up the beans with black, kidney, or chili beans.
- Spice it up with some diced jalapeños or hot sauce.
- Add a dollop of sour cream for extra creaminess.
- Top it with diced avocado, extra cilantro, a squeeze of lime, or tortilla strips.
- Serve with tortilla chips, cornbread, crackers, Fritos, or Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cream cheese can be left out if you would like a dairy-free chili option.
Make a slurry with 1/4 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup water or milk and add it to the slow cooker. Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Easy Crockpot White Chicken Chili with Cream Cheese
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 15 ounces canned whole-kernel corn drained
- 31 ounces canned Cannellini, Great Northern, or Navy beans drained (2 cans)
- 8 ounces canned green chiles
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, add all the ingredients except the cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours until the chicken is cooked through. Turn off the slow cooker and remove the lid.
- Remove the chicken shred with two forks, then return to the slow cooker.
- Slowly stir in the cream cheese until smooth.
- Enjoy various toppings like diced avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.
- Thicken chili with a slurry of 1/4 cup cornstarch mixed with 1/4 cup water or milk. Add this to the slow cooker and cook on high for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Make it spicy with hot green chilies or diced jalapenos.
- Room temperature cream cheese helps to prevent it from curdling. To quickly bring it to room temperature, microwave unwrapped for 15 seconds.