Easy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe with Corn Flakes
This Easy Hash Brown Casserole recipe is the ultimate comfort food made with frozen hash brown, extra cheddar cheese, and a crunchy corn flake topping! Perfect for holidays, funerals, or any get-together!
Cheese and potatoes are made for each other! And a well-known restaurant with rocking chairs taught us just how much we love when these two are made into a casserole. Sometimes known as funeral potatoes, this Easy Hash Brown Casserole is the most delicious, cheesy, and comforting side dish or breakfast to fill your belly! It’s easy to make with frozen hash browns and a few simple ingredients that only takes about 10 minutes before it’s ready to go in the oven. And the buttery corn flake topping makes it oh so yummy with a little crunch in each bite! This recipe is a potluck staple and always a crowd favorite with any holiday get-together like Christmas and Easter!
- Frozen Hash Browns– this makes the dish much easier to make than shredding potatoes by hand. While you can do that too if you want, shredded frozen hash browns work just as well. Easily swap out cubbed potatoes for shredded if you prefer.
- Cheddar Cheese– melty, cheddar cheese goes so well with potatoes and makes this dish extra comforting!
- Corn Flakes and Butter– mixing these two together makes the ultimate crunchy topping to this dish. Easy to leave off if you do not want a topping.
- Cream of Chicken Soup and Sour Cream– these make the potatoes extra creamy and rich. Cream of mushroom soup would taste similar as an alternative to the cream of chicken soup.
- Onion Powder, Salt, and Pepper
How to make it
This is so easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Mix it all together– mix hash browns, cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, 1/2 cup of butter, onion powder, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Pour all of this into a 9×13 inch pan and spread it out evenly.
- Make the topping– slightly crush up the corn flakes in a small bowl. Add in 1/4 cup of the remaining butter and mix it all together so that each piece has a little butter. This will help make it extra crunchy and delicious! Then sprinkle over the top of the hash brown mixture.
- Bake and eat– cover the dish and bake it for around 45 minutes. You’ll want the center to be warmed through. Then take the cover off and bake an additional 5-10 minutes to toast up the topping. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before digging in!
- Store– in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Frozen shredded or cubed hash browns
The best part about this dish is that it is made with frozen hash browns! No need to peel, cut, or shred potatoes by hand. The shape of the potato is really up to you. Both cubed and shredded work just as well in this recipe. Be sure it is thawed and drained well so there isn’t any extra water added to the mixture.
There are a few different ways to add-in a little variety to this recipe. Some ideas are:
Frequently asked questions
Yes, it easily can be made up to 3 days ahead. Just prepare as directed without adding the topping and store in a covered container in the refrigerator or freezer. When ready to serve, allow to thaw overnight, add the topping, and bake as directed.
Hash brown casserole can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Funeral potatoes, or hash brown casserole, is a common popular dish in southern states that is often served at potlucks or funerals.
Tips and tricks
* Make ahead and store in the refrigerator or freezer. This will help to save time on baking day.
* Add meat like bacon, ham, or sausage to make this a complete meal.
* Reheat leftovers in the oven to make the topping crispy.
More delicious side dish recipes
- 5 Ingredient Slow Cooker Creamed Corn– a delicious buttery side dish that requires no prep time and is easily made in the Crock-Pot.
- Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots– Tender baby carrots sweetened with butter, brown sugar, and honey to form the most delicious and irresistible glaze.
- Caesar Pasta Salad– bursting with flavor from the juicy tomatoes, the sharpness of the parmesan, and a bite of crunch from the romaine lettuce.
Easy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe with Corn Flakes
- 2 pounds frozen shredded hash browns thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 1/2 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup melted butter divided
- 2 cups corn flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together hash browns, cheddar cheese, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup butter. Pour into baking pan.
- In a small bowl, lightly crush corn flakes. Add remaining 1/4 cup butter and stir until the corn flakes are coated. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the hash brown casserole mixture.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until corn flakes are crispy.