Puppy Chow Cereal Snack is an addictively delicious treat with crunchy Crispix cereal, creamy peanut butter, melted chocolate, and covered in powdered sugar. So easy to make and fun for get-togethers or holiday parties!
Peanut butter and chocolate are the perfect match! Cookies are the first thing that comes to mind like peanut butter blossom or peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. But in the midwest, puppy chow or muddy buddies is probably the number one requested peanut butter and chocolate recipe. This puppy chow is not to be confused with the dog food- it’s for people! Trust me, it’s so much better than dog food!
This snack is equal parts delicious and addictive. While some versions are made with Chex cereal, this recipe is made with Crispix cereal. The pieces are a little bit bigger and crunchier to hold in all that peanut butter and chocolatey goodness inside. But warning- it’s a tasty mess and you’ll be licking your powdered sugar-covered fingers all night! This is such a fun treat to enjoy with kids too!
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips– this gives it a good balance of sweetness and chocolate flavor. But any type of chocolate like dark, milk, or white could be used for a different flavor. Even peanut butter chips would be good for an extra peanut buttery taste!
- Creamy peanut butter– it is important to use creamy so that when it melts with the chocolate, it will become smooth and be able to thoroughly coat the cereal.
- Crispix cereal– this makes the best puppy chow. It is big and extra thick so that it retains it’s crunch after it is coated in all the peanut butter and chocolate. Chex Rice Cereal can be substituted if you are not able find the Crispix.
- Powdered sugar
- Salted butter– you can use unsalted but I would recommend adding a pinch of salt if you do. A little salt will bring out the sweetness of the chocolate.
How to make it
This is an easy recipe to make. All you have to do is:
Melt– butter, peanut butter, and chocolate chips in the microwave. Start by cooking it on high for one minute. Stir and determine if it is all melted. If not, microwave at 15-second intervals until it is all melted. The chocolate chips may appear to not be melted but once stirred, they will melt when stirred together. Do not overheat or it will become unusable.
Pour – mixture over Crispix cereal in a large bowl. Stir quickly and thoroughly to cover each individual piece well.
Measure– powdered sugar and put it in the bottom of a gallon-sized freezer bag. Then take the covered Crispix and pour it into the freezer bag. Seal it well and shake shake shake! You’ll want to be sure each piece is coated with powdered sugar. If it doesn’t look covered enough, add 1/4 cup more powdered sugar at a time until well coated.
How to store puppy chow
Puppy chow is best when stored in an air-tight container at room temperature for 1-2 weeks! No need to refrigerate!
Puppy chow can also be frozen! This is perfect to make ahead and pull it out when you’re ready to eat. Just place it in an air-tight container and freeze for up to 3 months. It tastes good to eat it frozen or you can allow it to thaw at room temperature.
Tips and tricks
* Do not overheat the chocolate and peanut butter. Microwave until it the chocolate chips look almost melted and they will melt perfectly when stirred together with peanut butter.
* Put the powdered sugar in the freezer bag and then add the covered cereal. This makes it so much easier to fully cover each piece with powdered sugar.
* Add any mix-ins like m&m’s or sprinkles after it is covered in powdered sugar.
* Semi-sweet, milk, dark, or white chocolate can be used for different flavors.
More delicious sweet recipes
- Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies- creamy peanut butter cookies with the rich chocolate top.
- Chocolate Cherry Thumbprint Cookies– thick chocolate cookies with a sweet cherry in the center.
- Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark– salty pretzels mixed with toffee and chocolate for an addictive treat.
Puppy Chow Cereal Snack
- 1 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups Crispix cereal
- 1 1/2- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, microwave butter, chocolate, and peanut butter on high heat for one minute and then stir. Continue to microwave in 15-second increments, stirring in between until fully melted (around 1 minute 30 seconds total).
- Gently stir in Crispix cereal until each piece is coated.
- Add powdered sugar to a gallon freezer bag. Pour in the chocolatey cereal, seal the bag, and then shake until all the pieces are coated. Add more powdered sugar if it is not fully coated. Enjoy! Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the freezer up to 3 months.
- Nutritional and cook times vary due to appliance and product brand selection.