This One Pan Egg Roll in a Bowl is a fast, easy, and healthy meal combining all the delicious flavors of the delicious egg roll appetizer into one meal. With only a few simple ingredients, this meal is ready in 20 minutes!
Chinese take-out is one of our absolute favorite meals to have on the weekends! We get so excited because all of our meals come with a yummy egg roll that we all love so much. But take-out isn’t always an option on busy weeknights and the cost can add up quickly.
That’s why this One Pan Egg Roll Bowl recipe is one of my favorites! It has all the delicious flavors of the egg roll but is in one very easy meal. It only takes 20 minutes to make on the stovetop and the entire meal is hot and ready! It only requires a few ingredients like turkey and cabbage so it’s very budget-friendly. Plus, it’s a little healthier than the fried version so I don’t feel so guilty having a second helping. Even my kids go back for seconds!
Ground turkey– using ground turkey or chicken gives this a delicious flavor but makes it healthier. It would be really easy to switch it and use ground beef or sausage. Don’t drain the meat unless it’s really greasy. I do not recommend very lean meat. The juices help cook down the cabbage and give it that wonderful flavor.
Coleslaw mix– using bagged coleslaw mix is the easiest way to make this recipe but freshly cut cabbage and carrots can be used too.
Lite soy sauce– soy sauce is a necessary must in an egg roll bowl! It gives it the best flavor! I use lite to keep the sodium lower. If using regular, you may need to adjust the amount to your taste preference.
Sesame oil– this is one of those ingredients that you may not have on hand so it could be optional- BUT I really do recommend using it if you have it. The flavor is like no other and gives it a slightly nutty and rich flavor. Add more or less to suit your tastes.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
To summarize, all you have to do is:
- Brown the meat. In a wok or a large skillet, brown the ground turkey. Do not drain. Add the garlic and saute for a few minutes to flavor the meat.
- Add in the coleslaw, ginger, and soy sauce. Saute all these together with the juicy meat together. This will take about 10 minutes to cook down the cabbage and carrots until they are tender but have a slight crunch to it.
- Drizzle with sesame oil and top with green onions. Saute the sesame oil just a minute or two so it warms and blends into the dish. Then add the green onions and this is ready to eat!
What do I serve with egg roll bowl?
Egg Roll in a Bowl is a complete meal and can be served on its own. But it also tastes good when served over white rice or ramen noodles to make it even more filling. You could also scramble an egg or two and mix it into the dish. Or enjoy a warm bowl of egg drop soup on the side.
Tips and tricks
– Be sure to use a wok or a large skillet. The coleslaw will take up the entire pan quickly but will reduce down when cooking.
– Serve it over white rice or ramen to make this meal even more filling.
– Ground turkey, chicken, beef, or sausage can be used for this recipe.
More delicious recipes
- Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes– the ultimate comfort food that’s lightened up!
- 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos– easy and cheesy tacos that can be made as nachos or quesadillas too!
- Cheesy Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole– easy meal with beef, corn, crispy tater tots on top!
One Pan Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken, beef, or pork
- 16 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- In a wok or large skillet, brown ground turkey. Add garlic and saute for one minute.
- Add in coleslaw mix, ginger, and soy sauce and saute together until cabbage becomes tender- around 10 minutes. Drizzle with sesame oil and cook for one additional minute. Top with green onions and enjoy!
- Be sure to use a wok or a large pan. The coleslaw will take up the entire pan quickly but will reduce down when cooking.
- Serve it over white rice or ramen to make this meal even more filling.
- Ground turkey, chicken, beef, or sausage can be used for this recipe.