This Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken recipe is full of flavorful spices and sweet pineapple. Serve over rice or with tacos as an easy weeknight meal!
Easy Weeknight Dinner
Love the taste of jerk chicken wings but need it to be a little more hearty? This Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken has all the flavor of wings but in a full delicious meal! The chicken becomes so tender with all the aromatic spices, pops with color and crunch from the vibrant peppers, and has a nice sweetness to balance out the spices with pineapple chunks. This tastes fantastic over a big bowl of rice! And it’s so much easier to make than wings since it only has 4 ingredients and is made in the slow cooker! This is a fun one to enjoy any busy weeknight with family or friends.
- Caribbean Jerk seasoning packet– this makes the recipe so quick and easy! Only one packet of any brand of jerk seasoning is needed. You can also use 3 tablespoons of homemade seasoning.
- Peppers– mild peppers such as red, orange, and yellow give this dish a good texture but also pop with color! Substitute with green peppers if you prefer.
- Pineapple Chunks– the sweetness from the pineapple balances out perfectly with the spiciness of the jerk seasoning. Chunks help prevent it from cooking down too quickly and preserve the sweetness. But slices or tidbits could be used too.
- Chicken– this recipe is for chicken breasts but thighs would work just as well.
This is so simple to make. All you have to do is:
- Add the ingredients to the slow cooker- all you have to do is place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a slow cooker, sprinkle the seasoning all over the top of the chicken so that each piece is covered, add the chopped peppers, and then pour the can of pineapples with juice all over everything.
- Slow cook – now you just let the slow cooker do its job! If you want the chicken to be ultra-tender, cook on low for around 8 hours. I find that 6 hours is good for the chicken to be nice and tender but the peppers are soft but not mushy. Either way, just be sure the chicken is cooked through to at least 165 degrees.
- Serve and enjoy- once it’s cooked and ready, remove the chicken with tongs, shred it, and return it to the slow cooker. Stir it all together so the chicken absorbs more juices. I like to serve this over a bed of rice, in a bowl with rice, beans, and corn, or even made into a taco with a tortilla shell. The possibilities are endless!
Once this dish is made, it is best stored in an air-tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
This recipe is also freezer-friendly! Allow to cool at least 15 after cooking before placing in an air-tight container or freezer bag and freezing for up to 3-4 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
What To Serve With Jerk Chicken
There are many traditional side dishes that taste excellent with jerk chicken but I have found that some non-traditional sides taste good too. Here are a few ideas to serve with this recipe:
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this recipe can be made ahead and frozen. Just place all the ingredients in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 3-4 months.
The jerk seasoning tends to be spicy and full of flavor with a hint of smokiness. This slow cooker recipe isn’t too spicy since it is cooked in sweet pineapple juice but does have a little kick and is full of delicious spices.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Easy Slow Cooker Caribbean Jerk Chicken
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 0.87 ounces Caribbean Jerk Seasoning or 3 heaping tablespoons
- 3 peppers tricolored, chopped
- 20 ounces pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, add chicken breasts. Sprinkle seasoning over the chicken. Add chopped peppers. Pour the entire can of pineapple over the top.
- Cover with the lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours until the chicken is cooked and tender. Remove chicken from the pot, shred, and return to the slow cooker. Mix together and serve. Enjoy!