Old Fashioned Creamy Cucumber and Onion Salad is a classic side dish made with fresh cucumbers, zesty onions, and flavorful dill dressing. It is full of flavor, pairing perfectly with any main meal or enjoy at a cookout.
Easiest Cucumber Salad
Crunchy, cool, and oh-so-refreshing – that’s how I would describe this Old Fashioned Creamy Cucumber and Onion Salad. It reminds me of snacking in Grandma’s kitchen, where we would munch on the fresh cucumbers from the garden. The creaminess of the sour cream pairs so well with dill, covering the crispy cucumbers and onions to bring out the best flavors and texture. This salad is a true comfort side dish, bringing back memories of picnics and family gatherings. A perfect compliment to any dinner.
- Cucumbers– Fresh garden cucumbers or English cucumbers taste great in this recipe. The garden cucumber will typically be shorter, more round, and have seeds in the center. English cucumbers are longer, slightly sweeter, firmer, and have fewer seeds.
- Sweet Onion– This recipe uses a sweet onion to help balance the zippy flavor of the vinegar. Swap it out for a red or white onion for a little more punch.
- Sour Cream– This is the main ingredient that makes the dressing so creamy.
- White Vinegar– While it may seem a little harder to find, this is the main seasoning that makes this potato salad stand out from all the rest. Celery salt could be used in a pinch but will not have quite the same flavor.
- White Sugar– A little bit of sugar balances out the savory flavors.
This cucumber salad is easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Prepare the cucumbers and onions: Thinly slice the cucumbers and onions. It tastes the best when they aren’t too big and the sauce can easily cover all the pieces.
- Make the dressing: Whisk together sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, and salt together until creamy.
- Assemble together: Add the cucumbers and onions to the dressing and stir it all together until it is all covered. Serve immediately for crispy cucumbers or chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to allow the vegetables to soften. Enjoy!
Cover leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Keep in mind that cucumbers tend to “sweat”- meaning they will lose water once they are cut. This will make the dressing start to thin down and have more liquid. It will still taste very delicious!
Frequently Asked Questions
For best results, cucumber salad will need to be consumed within 5 days of being made.
Yes! Fresh American cucumbers or English cucumbers both taste delicious in this recipe. An American cucumber will be rounder, slightly less sweet, and have more seeds than an English cucumber.
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a ⭐ review below and tag me @whiskfulcooking on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Old Fashioned Creamy Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 2 cucumbers* (see note below) thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
- salt to taste
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, vinegar, sugar, dill, and salt.
- Add in cucumbers and onions and stir until everything is well coated. Serve immediately for crispy cucumbers or refrigerate for 2-3 hours to allow cucumbers to soften. Enjoy!
- Storage- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.