These Air Fryer Buffalo BBQ Chicken Wings are perfectly crispy, juicy, and drenched in a delicious spicy buffalo bbq sauce. Made from frozen wings, they are so easy to make and a must-have for your next game day, get-together, or party celebration!
When someone mentions chicken wings, does your mouth water like mine does? There’s something about crispy wings that I can’t get enough of. But frying them in oil is such a hassle and so messy. These Air Fryer Buffalo BBQ Chicken Wings are absolutely perfect! They are so incredibly crispy! They seriously taste like they’ve been fried but without all the grease and oil. Plus they’re made from frozen wings so it’s super easy to make. Trust me- these are a MUST for any sporting event, graduation, holiday, and of course game night!
HOW TO MAKE IT
PREHEAT– for 5 minutes at 360 degrees.
BRUSH– the inside of the air fryer with cooking oil. I have used a brush and even a paper towel lightly dipped in oil. Just a little to coat the bottom of the basket to help prevent sticking. It is not recommended to use aerosol cooking spray. Soy lecithin in the cooking spray can lead to chipping of the nonstick coating in the air fryer basket, essentially ruining the air fryer.
PLACE– wings in the bottom of the basket. Be sure to space them out so they aren’t touching. This will help them cook more evenly.
To cook wings:
COOK– for 10 minutes. This helps to defrost the wings.
SEPARATE– any wings if they got stuck together while defrosting.
ADJUST– temperature to 400 degrees and cook for 15- 20 minutes. Shake around every 5 minutes so they flip and remain separated. Once it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees and is your perfect crispiness, remove them from the basket.
DIP: wings one by one in the sauce until completely coated.
To make the Buffalo BBQ Sauce:
COMBINE: bbq sauce, Frank’s RedHot, and butter in a medium saucepan and cook over medium-low heat until butter is melted and warmed through. I do this while the wings are cooking so that the flavors have time to meld together.
WHAT TYPE OF WINGS TO USE
For the chicken wings, look for chicken wing sections in the frozen aisle of your local grocery store. They will be smaller than regular-sized wings. This will include wingettes and drummettes which make them the perfect size for dipping.
HOW TO MAKE MILD, MEDIUM, AND HOT SAUCE
The best thing about this sauce is that it’s very customizable to your taste. It’s so flavorful any way you make it.
MILD SAUCE– use 1 tbsp hot sauce
MEDIUM SAUCE– use 2 tbsp hot sauce
HOT SAUCE– use 3 or more tbsp hot sauce
NO HEAT SAUCE– don’t add any hot sauce. Just melt the butter and bbq sauce to thin it down and make it easier to coat the wings.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH AIR FRYER WINGS
Chicken wings taste fantastic when dipped in ranch or bleu cheese dressing with celery or carrots on the side. They’re a classic appetizer and go well with other appetizers like nachos, fried mozzarella sticks or pickles, and Buffalo Ranch Chex Mix.
Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket to help wings cook evenly.
Wings will shrink as they cook- this is normal.
Don’t use cooking spray to prevent ruining your air fryer basket.
They taste fantastic when dipped in ranch or bleu cheese dressing!
Air Fryer Buffalo BBQ Chicken Wings- From Frozen
- 10 chicken wingettes and/or drumettes
- 1 tsp oil canola, vegetable, or olive
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp Frank's RedHot (for mild heat)
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- Preheat air fryer at 360 degrees.
- Lightly brush oil throughout the air fryer basket. Arrange wings evenly in the bottom of the basket. Do not over-crowd to ensure even cooking. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Open air fryer and shake basket to separate any wings that are touching. Return basket and increase temperature to 400 degrees. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until desired crispiness and internal temperature of wings is at least 165 degrees.
- Remove wings from basket and toss in buffalo bbq sauce to coat. Enjoy!
BUFFALO BBQ SAUCE
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine butter, hot sauce, and bbq sauce and cook until butter has melted and is warmed through.
- For Mild Heat- use 1 tbsp hot sauce
- For Medium Heat- use 2 tbsp hot sauce
- For Spicy Heat- use 3+ tbsp hot sauce