This easy and flavorful Easy Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup with Canned Tomatoes is a classic recipe made with tomatoes, basil, and simple seasonings that come together quickly in the Crock Pot. Serve it with grilled cheese or crackers for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
The Best Tomato Soup Recipe
If you love canned creamy tomato soup, you’ll be amazed by how easy it is to make the homemade version. All you’ll need are tomatoes, onions, chicken broth, milk, and seasonings to throw into the slow cooker and let it do all the cooking for you. It is an absolute staple recipe that’s perfect for lunch or dinner all year long. Pair it with grilled cheese, crackers, or Easy Cheddar Bay Biscuits.
- Tomatoes– Delicious, flavorful tomatoes are the main ingredient in this recipe. Look for whole peeled tomatoes that come in a large can.
- White Granulated Sugar– A little sugar helps to cut some of the acidity in the tomatoes and brings out the savoriness in the soup.
- Butter– A little bit of butter adds some richness in flavor but is optional.
- Milk– Adding milk will make it much more creamy. You could substitute this for half and half or heavy whipping cream for a much thicker soup.
- Fresh Basil
- Chicken Broth
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions and a list of ingredients.
How to Make Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup
This soup is easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Add ingredients to the slow cooker: Add the tomatoes, onion, chicken broth, butter, basil, and sugar to the slow cooker and stir together.
- Cook: Allow the flavors to blend together and the onions to cook for around 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Blend: Once the onions have softened, puree together using an immersion blender or carefully pour into a regular blender and pulse a few times.
- Add milk: Stir in the milk slowly. Garnish with some croutons, crackers, or more fresh basil. Enjoy!
To refrigerate: store any leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
To freeze: Freeze tomato soup in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
This recipe is very easy to switch up to suit your taste. A few ideas to try:
- Make it cheesy with some Parmesan or Cheddar.
- Add a can of fire-roasted tomatoes for a smoky flavor.
- Bulk it up with some veggies or meat.
- Spice it up with garlic or Italian herbs.
- For a thicker soup, use heavy cream instead of milk or add a can of tomato paste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Milk helps to make the soup much more creamy and adds a rich flavor.
To thicken the soup, replace the milk with heavy cream or half and half.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Easy Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup (with Canned Tomatoes)
- 56 ounces whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- Add tomatoes, onion, chicken broth, basil, butter, and sugar to a slow cooker.
- Cook 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Remove the lid and puree using an immersion blender or carefully pour into a regular blender and pulse until smooth. Stir in the milk. Garnish with croutons, cheese, or more fresh basil. Enjoy!
- Leftovers can be stored in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If the soup tastes too acidic, add a pinch of baking soda before adding milk.