Big Mac Turkey Sloppy Joes
Big Mac Turkey Sloppy Joes are a fun twist on a fast food favorite. Easy to make with turkey, cheese, lettuce, and pickles then topped with thousand island dressing for a quick weeknight meal.
Fast food favorite
Quick and savory sandwiches are a big-time favorite at fast food restaurants. They’re loaded with meat, cheese, and sauce. Everything you want in a sandwich but not always at the right price. Plus, it can really add up quickly when ordering more than one.
These Big Mac Turkey Sloppy Joes have all the delicious flavors of a fast food favorite but at the right price. They’re loaded with savory turkey, cheese, lettuce, and pickles on a toasted sesame seed but are made like a traditional sloppy joe with a little extra sauciness. From start to finish, these yummy sandwiches are ready in 20 minutes and are a family favorite for any weeknight meal.
- Ground Turkey– regular or lean ground turkey tastes great for these sandwiches. Ground beef or chicken are good substitute options. Add a tsp of butter if the turkey is extra lean to prevent it from sticking to the pan.
- Onion– diced onion help add a little savoriness to the sandwich.
- Worcestershire Sauce– a little dab of this really brings out the flavor in the turkey.
- American Cheese– this cheese gives it that classic flavor but Cheddar or Colby would taste good as well.
- Pickle Slices– totally optional but taste really good on the sandwich.
- Sesame Seed Buns
- Thousand Island and Mayonnaise– this makes a deliciously creamy sauce.
How to make it
This sandwich is so simple to make. All you have to do is:
- Brown meat- in a saute pan over medium heat, brown the turkey with the diced onions until the meat is cooked through and the onions are nice and tender. Add in the Worcestershire sauce. Lower the heat to a simmer.
- Make the sauce – mix together the thousand island dressing with the mayonnaise in a small bowl to make the sauce. Pour 3/4 of it over the meat mixture and stir it all together. Keep the remaining sauce to add to the buns.
- Assemble the sandwiches– over toasted buns, add lettuce, cheese, pickles, sloppy joe meat, and then top with a little more of the sauce with a bun on top.
- Enjoy! These sandwiches are extra sloppy so don’t forget the napkins!
What to serve with sloppy joes
These sandwiches go well with any side dish like french fries, side salad, pasta salad like Caesar Pasta Salad, vegetables like Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots, or chips and dip.
Big Mac Sloppy Joes are delicious as leftovers. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or freeze in an air-tight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
Tips and tricks
* Regular or lean ground turkey works well for this recipe.
* Add extra pickles or onions for additional flavor.
* Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
More easy dinner recipes
- Turkey Reuben Sliders– a delicious twist on a classic sandwich with buttery rolls filled with savory turkey, sauerkraut, and swiss cheese.
- Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes– a healthier version of a family favorite recipe that is ready in 15 minutes.
- 4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos– so simple to make with only salsa, cheese, taco seasoning, and chicken that tastes great on any flour or corn tortilla.
Big Mac Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 sesame seed burger buns toasted
- 4 slices American cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 12 dill pickle slices
- 3/4 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- In a pan over medium heat, add turkey and onion. Cook until meat is no longer pink and onions are translucent. Add in Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to simmer.
- Make the sauce in a small bowl by stirring together Thousand Island dressing and mayonnaise. Pour 3/4 of the sauce into the pan and mix together until well combined.
- Assemble the sandwiches by stacking: burger bun bottom, lettuce, cheese, 4 pickles, meat mixture, extra sauce, and a bun top. Enjoy!
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- If using extra lean turkey or ground turkey breast, add around a teaspoon of butter to the pan while cooking to prevent the meat from sticking.