Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes are a healthier version of a family favorite recipe loved by both kids and adults! Just a few simple ingredients and these delicious and messy sandwiches are ready for potlucks or busy weeknight dinners!
Sloppy Joes bring back so many memories as a kid from the family potlucks and get-togethers to chowing down on the canned version in the cafeteria at school. Some recipes of the beloved sandwiches tasted better than others.
The good news is that the homemade version is really just as easy as opening up the canned version yet it has such a better flavor! Plus the hint of bbq sauce with the tomato base gives it just the right amount of savory and sweetness! And the turkey makes it a little healthier without sacrificing any of the flavor. It truly is a family staple for all ages!
How to make it
To summarize, all you have to do is:
Brown- ground turkey and diced onion together in a non-stick skillet or cast-iron skillet. I like to cook it long enough so the onions soften and become translucent.
Add– ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir it all together. If your bbq sauce isn’t very sweet, I do recommend adding a little brown sugar to compensate. But most bbq sauces have a good amount of sugar or molasses so most likely you won’t need it.
Simmer– I recommend allowing it to simmer for at least 15 minutes to allow all the flavors to come together. Sloppy Joes are similar to chili- the longer they simmer, the better the taste. But if you’re needing to eat quickly, just turn up the heat a little bit to warm it up and bring it to your desired consistency.
Serve– in a hamburger bun or hoagie bun. Enjoy the sloppy goodness!
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions.
It’s easy to adjust this recipe to your specific tastes!
Meat: ground beef or ground turkey would taste delicious too!
BBQ sauce: I often use a sweet bbq such as Sweet Baby Ray’s but any brand can be used. If you’re not a fan of the bbq flavor, omit the bbq all together and add extra ketchup.
Green peppers: if you would like a little crunch, add green peppers while cooking the onions.
Allow to fully cool before storing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months.
What to serve with sloppy joes
Sloppy Joe sandwiches are such a family favorite because they taste good when served with everything! Some of my personal favorites are:
Special equipment used for this recipe
Cast Iron Skillet– this cooks meat so evenly and is durable to last a lifetime!
* As an Amazon Associate, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
More delicious recipes
- Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots– tender and sweet with the best glaze!
- Air Fryer Cauliflower– this crispy and healthy recipe cooks up quickly and easily!
- Classic Corn Casserole– a family favorite with only 5 ingredients needed!
Easy Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons bbq sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worchestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- In a cast iron skillet or non-stick skillet, brown ground turkey and diced onion over medium heat.
- Add ketchup, bbq sauce, Worchestershire sauce, mustard, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and stir together well. Reduce heat to medium-low and allow sauce to reduce to your desired consistency.
- Serve on a hamburger bun or hoagie. Enjoy!