This Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark recipe is addictively delicious with a sweet and salty combination of chocolate and pretzels. Super easy to make with only 4 ingredients, this sweet treat will be gone before it even has time to cool!
Best Toffee Bark
Fair warning: this Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark is addictive! Not like “Oh yummy this is tasty” but more like “OH YUMMY I HAVE TO EAT IT ALL IN RIGHT NOW”. I seriously can’t get enough of this combination of sweet toffee with salty pretzels. Plus there are only 4 ingredients and a few simple steps to make this delicious dessert. But again, you may want to make a double batch if you intend to share this Christmas or holiday.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter could be used- totally your preference. I’ve never used margarine. I’m not exactly sure it would work as well with the higher oil content.
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar would taste great depending on the level of richness you prefer.
- Pretzel Twists
- Chocolate Chips: Semi-sweet gives a nice balance with the very sweet toffee. Milk chocolate or dark chocolate would be good as well for a different flavor profile.
How To Make Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark
- Melt– Add butter and sugar into a saucepan and boil for 3 minutes. Start your timer once it comes to a rapid boil. Try not to stir too much but do keep an eye on it so it doesn’t overflow.
- Pour over pretzels– Line a jelly pan or 9×13 pan with aluminum foil and then spread out pretzels in the bottom of the pan. Don’t worry about being evenly distributed because it will spread while baking. But you will want to have a pan with edges so the toffee doesn’t spill out all over the oven.
- Bake– Put the pan in the oven and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.
- Add chocolate– Sprinkle chocolate chips all over the top. You don’t have to make it look pretty since it will melt.
- Bake again– Put it back in the oven for 1 more minute. Do not over-bake! I have done this. If you bake it too long, the chocolate will burn and turn crumbly. All you want to do is get the chocolate warm so it will melt easily.
- Spread the chocolate– Spread the chocolate with a spatula all over the top. I use a spatula and it works perfectly. If it doesn’t spread easily, just wait another minute or two after you take it out of the oven so the chocolate chips are nice and warm.
- Cool– Let it cool completely before breaking into pieces and devouring. It gets crumbly and that’s perfectly fine. It’s not the prettiest but it’s the most delicious!
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for printed instructions.
This sweet snack is great to make ahead and enjoy for days. Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 7 days. You can also freeze for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Once cooled, cut into pieces with a knife or break into pieces by hand. It can be a little crumbly so the pieces will not be in perfect shapes.
Yes, you can switch out pretzels for crackers to make the traditional Christmas Toffee Candy.
Chocolate Toffee Pretzel Bark
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 cups pretzel mini twists
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread pretzels over the bottom of the pan.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter and brown sugar while stirring frequently. Bring to a rapid boil and boil on medium heat for 3 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat. Immediately pour over pretzels.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and immediately cover with chocolate chips. Bake 1 additional minute, remove from oven and allow to sit for 3 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, spread chocolate chips to cover all the pretzel toffee mixture. Allow to cool completely. Break into pieces and enjoy!