Cheesy Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole
Cheesy Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole is an easy and delicious weeknight meal made with seasoned beef, sweet corn, and crispy tater tots. Sure to become a family favorite!
Family favorite dish
I am always looking for an easy family meal that even my picky eater kids will devour. This Cheesy Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole is a feel-good comfort food recipe the whole family enjoys. It’s stick-to-your-ribs hearty that’s filled with staple ingredients like ground beef or turkey, corn, sour cream, and cream of mushroom soup. Plus it only involves a few simple steps so I don’t have to worry about cooking all night. It’s cheesy, easy, and delicious!
How to make it
It’s a really easy recipe, all you have to do is:
Brown– ground beef in the skillet with 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp onion powder. Drain.
Mix– ground beef, corn, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, pepper, and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl.
Pour– into 9×13″ greased pan.
Top– with tater tots in an even layer. If the tots are on top of each other, they don’t cook evenly and won’t be able to crisp up on top.
Sprinkle– 1/2 cup remaining cheese.
Bake– uncovered at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until tots are slightly browned and crispy and the center is warmed through. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Store– store leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions.
Meat: turkey, chicken, or sausage would also taste delicious in this dish.
Vegetables: many different vegetables such as green beans, carrots, or peas would taste great. You will want to use canned or frozen to be sure it cooks through thoroughly.
Cheese: mild cheese tastes best such as Colby, Mozzarella, Cheddar, or Monterey Jack.
Healthier options: try using lite sour cream, low fat or fat-free milk, fat-free cream of mushroom soup, and reducing the cheese to 1 cup. While I have not tested each of these options, I would imagine it would give it a similar overall taste.
Is cheesy cowboy tater tot casserole freezer friendly?
Yes, this casserole is freezer friendly. Assemble as instructed in an aluminum pan (do not bake) and cover tightly with aluminum foil for up to 2 months. When ready to bake, allow to thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then bake as instructed.
What do I serve with this casserole?
This casserole is hearty enough to be served by itself or it pairs nicely with a side salad or fresh fruit. And don’t forget some delicious desserts like Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies or Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars to finish off the meal! Yum!
Cheesy Cowboy Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp garlic powder divided
- 1 tsp onion powder divided
- 15.25 oz canned corn drained
- 10.5 oz cream of mushroom soup unprepared
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Colby cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper optional
- 32 oz tater tots frozen
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 9×13" pan and set aside.
- In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add ground beef, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp onion powder. Cook until beef is browned. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, corn, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, milk, 1 cup of shredded cheese, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/2 tsp onion powder, and pepper. Pour into 9×13" pan.
- Top with tater tots in a single layer. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes until heated through and tots are crispy. Enjoy!
- Ground turkey, chicken, or sausage can be used instead of beef.
- Canned or frozen green beans, carrots, or peas can be used instead of corn
- Layer tots in an even layer to allow for the tops of the tater tots to get crispy.