These PUMPKIN BUTTERSCOTCH BARS are super moist and fluffy with a cake-like texture that is sure to make your tastebuds explode. The combination of pumpkin and butterscotch is the perfect pair to make this dessert so irresistible that you’ll be making it all year round.
Never thought about pairing pumpkin with butterscotch? Well, let me tell you that you’re about to be very pleasantly surprised by this flavor combination. These bars are so moist and delicious with a cake-like texture that just about melts in your mouth. They’re perfect warmed up or room temperature and you can eat it by itself or top it off with a yummy scoop of ice cream. Trust me- you’ll have a hard time just eating one!
HOW TO MAKE PUMPKIN BUTTERSCOTCH BARS
These Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars are easy to make. To summarize, all you have to do is:
CREAM– butter, sugars, applesauce
ADD– egg, vanilla, pumpkin puree (note- batter will be lumpy and curdled in appearance, this is totally NORMAL)
MIX– flour, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice together
ADD– dry ingredients to wet ingredients
MIX– until combined
ADD– butterscotch chips
POUR– into pan
BAKE– 30-40 minutes
*See the recipe card at the bottom of the page for detailed instructions.
BUTTER: salted and unsalted seem to work well in this recipe
BROWN SUGAR: light or dark brown sugar could be used
APPLESAUCE: I tend to use unsweetened applesauce since additional sugars are added. If you use sweetened applesauce, you may want to reduce the amount of granulated sugar to compensate.
EGG: although I have never used a brown egg, I imagine it would work well.
PUMPKIN PUREE: this needs to be pure pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
ALL PURPOSE FLOUR
PUMPKIN PIE SPICE
BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS: to me, this is what MAKES them so delicious! But semi- sweet, milk, white or dark chocolate could be used to add a different flavor combination.
I am always looking for ideas to save money or time. Here are a couple of ways this could help you if this recipe is out of budget or you are on a time crunch:
- use fresh pumpkin puree if you have it on hand
- use homemade applesauce
- try freezing them! I’ve frozen them with much success!
For a less sweet pumpkin butterscotch bar, reduce granulated sugar to 1/2 cup. You could also reduce the amount of butterscotch chips to 1 cup.
These PUMPKIN BUTTERSCOTCH BARS are so tasty that you’ll be wanting to make them for every meal. Try them warm with a dollop of whipped cream or scoop of ice cream for a fantastic dessert experience!
Pumpkin Butterscotch Bars
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg large
- 15 oz pumpkin puree
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 11 oz butterscotch chips 2 cups
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line with parchment paper a 9X13" pan.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until smooth and fluffy. Mix in applesauce and vanilla extract until combined. Lightly beat in the egg and then stir in pumpkin puree until combined. The batter will look lumpy in appearance.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Add to the wet batter and mix just until combined. Fold in butterscotch chips.
- Pour batter evenly into 9×13" pan and bake for approximately 30-40 minutes and edges start to pull away from the pan (a toothpick inserted in center should come out clean).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve and enjoy!