This Copycat Red Hot & Blue Original Potato Salad Recipe is a popular side dish made with red-skinned potatoes, celery seeds, and creamy mayonnaise. Sure to be a hit at your summer cookout.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
Red Hot & Blue is a famous barbeque restaurant that is known for its Memphis-style BBQ, ribs, and pulled pork. But equally famous is their delicious potato salad. It is a creamy and flavorful side dish made with red-skinned potatoes, and boiled eggs, then topped with celery and onion-seasoned mayonnaise. What is also unique is that this potato salad is served at room temperature, blending all the flavors together perfectly. It’s a simple yet tasty side that pairs perfectly with any main meal.
- Red-skinned potatoes– Leaving the skin on these potatoes gives it a nice look with a great texture. Russet or golden potatoes could make for an easy substitute.
- Hard-boiled eggs– Boiled, steamed, or pressure cook them until firm on the inside.
- Mayonnaise– This is the main ingredient for a creamy potato salad.
- Celery seeds– While it may seem a little harder to find, this is the main seasoning that makes this potato salad stand out from all the rest. Celery salt could be used in a pinch but will not have quite the same flavor.
- Green onions
- Salt and Pepper
This potato salad is easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Prepare potatoes: Boil or steam the potatoes until they are cooked through but are still slightly firm. This will help the salad hold its shape. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Make the dressing: Mix together mayonnaise, celery seeds, green onions, salt, and pepper together until creamy.
- Chop and assemble: Dice the hard-boiled eggs and potatoes. Add both to the dressing mixture and gently stir together. Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve. Enjoy!
Cover leftovers in an air-tight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. After about 24 hours, the texture will change and become softer as the potatoes absorb the liquid but it is still delicious. You can add a little extra mayonnaise if needed.
Frequently asked questions
For best results, potato salad will need to be consumed within 5 days of being made.
Once the potato salad is assembled, it can be enjoyed at room temperature for up to 2 hours before needing to be stored in the refrigerator.
This side dish can be enjoyed at room temperature or chilled.
Did you try this recipe? Please leave a ⭐ review below and tag me @whiskfulcooking on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and YouTube!
Copycat Red Hot & Blue Original Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds red-skinned potatoes
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/2 cup green onions sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Boil or steam potatoes until fork tender but slightly firm. Drain and set aside to cool. Boil the eggs until cooked and place in a bowl of ice water to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix mayonnaise, celery seed, green onions, salt, and pepper until blended together.
- Once cooled, peel the eggs and chop into bite-sized pieces. Dice the potatoes as well but leave the skin on. Add eggs and potatoes to the mayonnaise mixture and very gently stir together without mashing. Serve immediately or chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- This can be made and ahead and is best served within 24 hours after assembly.
- Refrigerate any leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
- Do not leave out at room temperature for more than 2 hours to prevent spoiling.