Classic Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
This Classic Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole recipe is a favorite for the holidays. Just a few simple ingredients to mix together in the Crock Pot for a delicious side dish that everyone enjoys.
Holiday favorite side
Many holiday side dishes are staples, like hash brown casserole, corn casserole, and sweet potato casserole. They are so delicious that often they become more of a favorite than the main dish.
Green Bean Casserole is a classic side dish that completes any holiday like Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is so simple to make with canned green beans, cream of mushroom soup, and a crunchy onion topping. This recipe is the best since it is made in the Crock Pot and only takes minutes to prepare. Just mix, cook, and enjoy!
- Canned green beans– this recipe includes both regular and french cut green beans. This makes a nice balance in texture. Easily swap out either style to suit your taste.
- Cream of mushroom soup– the base of the casserole that gives such a nice creamy and savory taste.
- Milk– any type will work for this dish.
- Soy sauce– while optional, a little dash gives a nice zippy flavor.
- Salt & pepper
- French Fried Onions– these fried onion rings taste amazing with the green beans, bringing a much-needed savory onion flavor and a crunchy top.
This casserole is so easy to make. All you have to do is:
- Mix casserole together- in the bottom of a large crock pot, add cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, salt, and pepper, and mix it all together with a wooden or plastic spoon. Do not use a metal spoon since it could scratch the bottom of the pot. Add the green beans and half of the french fried onions and gently stir to combine.
- Cook– cover the crock pot and cook on high for 2-3 hours, or until it is hot and bubbly.
- Top and enjoy– remove the lid and stir again. Top with the remaining onions and serve.
- Store– cover and place any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days.
- See the printable recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
Green Bean Casserole can also be made in the oven. Prepare as directed in a 9×13″ pan but do not add the french fried onions on top. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes until hot. Remove from oven, top with remaining onions, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Yes, this casserole can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time. Just prepare in the slow cooker pot without adding the french fried onions. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to cook, remove from the refrigerator and allow the pot to come to room temperature to prevent it from cracking. Stir in half the onion and follow the remaining directions. It may need a few more minutes of cook time.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, this recipe can be kept on warm in the slow cooker for up to 3 hours before needing to be served or stored in the refrigerator.
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole is made with canned green beans for ease of use and delicious flavor. Fresh or frozen green beans can be easily substituted. Be sure they are cleaned and trimmed.
Any cream soup can be used as a substitute for this recipe with similar results, such as cream of chicken or cream of celery.
Tips and tricks
* Add the onions on the top right before serving. If covered with a lid, the onions will start to soften and become less crispy.
* If using fresh green beans, clean and trim the ends.
* Try adding cheese for a different variety. Cheddar or Parmesan would taste delicious!
More delicious side dishes
- Easy Hash Brown Casserole Recipe with Corn Flakes– the ultimate comfort food made with frozen hash brown, extra cheddar cheese, and a crunchy corn flake topping!
- Brown Sugar Honey Glazed Carrots– tender baby carrots sweetened with butter, brown sugar, and honey to form the most delicious and irresistible glaze.
- Classic Corn Casserole– made with only 5 ingredients and is filled with sweet corn, butter, and a cornbread mixture
Classic Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans green beans, drained regular or french cut
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces french fried onions divided
- In the bottom of a large crock pot, mix together cream of mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, salt and pepper with a wooden or plastic spoon. Gently stir in green beans and half of the french fried onions.
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or until hot and bubbly. Remove the lid and stir again. Sprinkle the remaining french fried onions evenly over the top. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers covered in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
- Prepare in the slow cooker pot without adding the french fried onions. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. When ready to cook, remove from the refrigerator and allow the pot to come to room temperature to prevent it from cracking. Stir in half the onion and follow the remaining directions. It may need a few more minutes of cook time.
- Prepare as directed in a 9×13″ pan but do not add the french fried onions on top. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35-40 minutes until hot. Remove from oven, top with remaining onions, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Fresh green beans can be used in place of canned. Wash and trim the ends before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Add the fried onions on top right before serving. Once the lid is placed back on top, the onions start to soften.
- Cook times and nutritional values are estimates due to variations in cookware and ingredient brands.